A blog of international travel and community building

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Water that Falls from the Rocks





It is significant that we are working on water issues in a community called Kisilaya which means "the water that falls from the rocks" in Mayagna, another indigenous group in Nicaragua. In my experience, it seems like trying to work on water issues in Kisilaya is almost like trying to obtain water from a rock. I wouldn´t have signed up for this if I thought it was going to be easy



My long awaited work in Nicaragua has come to a successful end. After 6 weeks of the most intensive work I have ever done in my life we have accomplished the following:


-Organized NGO´s in Waspam, advocated and received resources and technical support in the community from NGO´s whom otherswise won´t set foot in Kisilaya.

-Organized a ton of meetings, workshops and interpersonal contact with the community to ensure they have the skills and information to improve their access and quality to water.
-Organized 5 water committees

-Organized an informal network of leaders that are and will be crucial to moving on to more sustainable water systems like rainwater and ceramic filtration

-Cleaned 7 wells
-Repaired 8 wells

-Wrote a manual in spanish and miskitu on water management

-Wrote a proposal for a community health educator program that will be managed by the womens center in Kisilaya

-Hopefully prepared the community for the next step when the Engineers without Borders make their research trip in the fall.


Nicaragua beat me up and wore me down, but I wouldn´t give up. In spite of all the things that seemed to go wrong at every turn, we perservered, we looked fear and disappointment in the face and laughed-because really that is the only way you can deal with some of the ridiculous stuff that goes on. I understand why the latin american attitude is so laid back in some respects. Mostly because if you were to get yourself worked up everytime your plan when down the tubes, there would be a lot more heart attacks.



And the most touching of all experiences was my final day in Kisilaya where looked at photos of our work, their families and their community- the kids loved this most of all. I received and gave heartfelt hugs, hearty handshakes and anxious questioning about my return--- I finally cracked the serious, conservative and rather withdrawn culture of relations among Kisialayans. And even more than this was while I waited for my little plane to arrive and take me back to Managua a group of 6 women arrived, encircled me with clasped hands and a seranad of a traditional tune for safe travels. Hugs and tears were shared and before I know it, I am back in the traffic, noise and grunge of Managua.


I am now in Guatamala City which is the largest city in Central America. I spent the night with the ever charming Alma who I met in Colola. She dazzled me with the colonial architecture and soft glow of Antigua. Tomorrow, I will leave for Mexico and then travel along the beautiful Pacific coast line until I return to where I left my hear the last time I was in Mexico, in the tiny indigenous village of Colola.






-

















No comments:

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Keep in Touch! Subscribe Now!